Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 8: The Lost Art

Recently a colleague identified the e in email as standing for "easy way out".  Isn't that the truth?  How many times have you hidden behind your keyboard and electronic signature?  It's easy.  It's fast.  You get to say everything you want to say without having to listen or pay attention to the person you are communicating with.  God forbid they may have an opinion or a thought to share.  There's no time for that.  Our crazy busy lives have somehow given us a licence to be rude and often thoughtless.

Well, it is time to add a little civility back to our lives.

Today's challenge is to write a note.  Sorry, let me clarify...hand write a note.  Yep, find a pen and a note card or paper.  Then, think about someone who deserves a kind word, an acknowledgment or a thank you and put your thoughts to paper.  Write it, address it and mail it. 

And then, feel good about your accomplishment.  In a few days, long after the pain of having to slow down for 15 minutes has subsided, your efforts will surprise your recipient and make them smile. 

And maybe, just maybe, you will inspire them to pay it foward and do the same for someone else.

Try it.  You may just like it.

Tb

6 comments:

SouthFrontenacFibres said...

excellent challenge today. I love hand written notes!

Tracy B said...

From Annie Snook...

Definitely got a bit of free this weekend when I was in Kingston for my son's hockey tournament. It was a fab way of spending family time!!!

Oh, I am actually looking forward to this one!
I make my own greeting cards so I will take the time tonight at some point to do just that....

What better way to say thank you to someone than with something made from the heart!!!

Have a fab day everyone :)


Annie Snook
Sent from my BlackBerry device on Rogers Reliable Network

Tracy B said...

From Shireen;
Hey there,
I did too - went shopping with NO PHONE for about 3/4 hrs on Saturday! Bought a new dress, new jacket. Dinner was supposed to be on the agenda but we opted for movies and ordering in. Thanks for the inspiration!
Shireen

Tracy B said...

From Natalie..

Yes, I went skating with my family it was awesome!!!!! BB at home! Thank you for bringing this opportunity to us!

Natalie Duguay
Distribution Account Representative
Northeast Ontario
Rogers Communications Inc

Wayne, Sue and Burghley said...

Well Trace, I will be expecting your card telling me what a wonderful Dad I am.
Love
Dad

SouthFrontenacFibres said...

Note is written, stamp is on the envelope...off to the post office tomorrow! This was a great challenge.